Thursday, January 21, 2010

Who Ya Gonna Call...

If you ask me to photograph your wedding, I'm going to say "Love to!"... usually. I could already be booked, of course (I have weddings scheduled through into November 2010), and sometimes I have other priorities that are not "work" related. For instance, I decided that my family wasn't going to appreciate it if I accepted the request to photograph a wedding on Christmas Day (true - the wedding was scheduled for 25th December 2009, and in a Catholic Church!).

I do not like to say no - a flaw in my personality, I suppose (one of many!) but I don't like letting people down, especially someone who has singled out my art for such a special day from the hundreds of other wedding photographers vying for their business.

I get anxious about who the couple might go to, especially if it just just a few month before the event. Short-notice weddings are the hunting grounds for amateur and cut-price photographers, and the photographs they deliver show it.

Is every cheap photography package a disaster? Of course not. Some are very good; every professional was an inexperienced beginner once. But I thought, if instead of just saying "sorry, can't do it", if I could refer the client on to someone I knew would deliver the goods, I would feel a lot better about it; even better still, what if I could personally introduce them to a great photographer?

So, last week I started a network for trusted wedding professionals. It is by invitation only, no one gets any kick-back for sharing in the community, and all the members are locals.

So  far there are just 4 photographers, a planner and a celebrant in the community, but already two couples have been supported by our members: we were able to find them a great professional and saved them all the stress of starting their search all over again. That not only made them very happy, but it made me feel pretty good, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment