Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Sold! - Well, given away, actually.

The promo has gone to a really lovely couple who will be celebrating their wedding next August. That's a relief.  But it still makes me wonder about the effectiveness of my website. Ads on Facebook, promo via Twitter, 6000 views and the couple who finally took it home only saw the offer after they had spoken to me on the phone and I directed them to the site to look at some sample images.

This week I took my G11 out to test its low-light capabilities before adding it to my gear bag for weddings. With this new camera, Canon has replaced the 14 megapixel sensor on the 2009 Expert Camera of the Year with a 10 megapixel device and added a flexible, rotating screen among other refinements. Thankfully, they kept the optical viewfinder.

The only real criticism that could be leveled at the G10 was its poor low light performance - too noisy from 400ISO . Hence the revised megapixel count.  Does it help? Yes.. but the optical viewfinder is a disappointment. Better than nothing, but not really as good as it should be..

In the "season to be jolly" the Christmas lights are spectacular, but somoething of a challenge for a compact camera - even one with an oversized sensor like the G11's 1.7 incher. It is going into the bag, but I don't see it getting a lot of use on the Big Day: on the other hand, when something unobtrusive is required, it will be useful, and for preliminary and test shots, I think it will pay for itself sooner rather than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment