Sunday, June 28, 2009

Wedding Gift Certificates

In a marriage site I was browsing recently, I came across a piece of advice that I found rather clever - if a bit cynical. The author suggested that the best gift might be a gold-framed gift certificate for a marriage class (read it yourself at http://www.smartmarriages.com/giftcertificates.html#weddings ). Now, Marriage Guidance is usually something I associate with a marriage going badly, but this is the kind of guidance offered, usually by a minister, priest or pastor in the hope you will never need the other kind. Good idea, although it seems education, rather than counseling is the key.

Is it a good gift, though? Perhaps, but it could be taken in the wrong spirit; and your choice of guidance school or counselor might not be the same as the bridal couples. Still, the idea of a Certificate is not a bad one. I recently had an inquiry for my services as a wedding photographer from the mother of the groom. However, with all the expenses that had fallen to her, she was looking for ways cut costs, and even my budget pack was looking a bit steep to her... the free gift didn't really help, because she didn't need free extras so much as help to meet the basic costs.

I told them how to go about seeking out a Photography Student who might do the wedding free to build their portfolio and crossed the family off my wait list: then last week, they contacted me again... by doing their own flowers and making the bouquet , they had freed up enough to pay for their photos!

That story marries (forgive the pun) with the Gift Certificate idea. It occurred to me that if my family had been able to suggest a Photography Gift Certificate to their guests, they could have offset the price of their wedding photography enough to get the package they wanted without having to pick all those flowers.

It seems like a useful proposition, and I will almost certainly instigate a Certificate for Practicaps Weddings in the new financial year.

No comments:

Post a Comment